Thursday, May 27, 2010

WonderGirls dazzle 45,000 fans


WonderGirls made a comeback after one year out of the Korean stage light in front of 45,000 fans.

The comeback took place on May 22th at the Seoul World Cup Stadium for the “I Love Republic of Korea 2010 Dream Concert” (or just simply Dream Concert).

WonderGirls performed their new single, “2 Different Tears“, garnering much attention. However, due to the sudden departure of Sun-mi in January, fans had their eyes glued to new addition, Hye-rim. Fortunately, they were pleased and attracted to her stable and professional appearance.

WonderGirls led the retro craze with “Tell Me“, “So Hot“, and “Nobody” these past few years. This year is no different as they try to dominate the K-Pop industry with another retro chic hit, “2 Different Tears”.

Here’s a fan-cam of the event~

After their performance of “2 Different Tears,” they made the crowd go crazy again by saying, “Specially for today, we prepared songs that we can all sing together.” They continued by performing by their 2007 smash hit that was not only popular in Korea, but all around the world, “Tell Me.” They went on to perform “So Hot” and “Nobody” as well.

The Wonder Girls have released a worldwide new mini album this month on the 16th. And to be honest, I think it will be hard for the WonderGirls to get back to the top. Yes, I really think so. And I have three legit reasons for it. First, there are just too many girl groups right now in the K-Pop industry. I’ll name the ones that I can think of: Girls Generation, KARA,T-ara, Secret, Rainbow, f(x), After School, 2NE1, HAM, 4minute…you get my point. Girl groups are getting larger, sexier, and more talented.

Second, and again, this is just my opinion, but I expected more out of their new song. It sounds very similar to their previous songs. Nothing against retro, but maybe they should have tried to go for the the dark and sexy trend that Girls Generation, KARA, and T-ara succeeded with. I tried singing “Tell Me” and “Nobody” over the images of sleek black, and surprisingly, it fit well.

And third, the disappearance of a member. 2PM lost Park Jae-bum. And I bet if Jay DID come back, “Without You” would be doing much better. Same with the Wonder Girls. Sun-mi wasn’t the head of the group, but she was surely one of the favorites. Yes, I know it’s different. The situation about 2PM and the fact that Sun-mi was replaced by Hye-rim, who I have no problem with. But fans don’t like seeing their favorites leave. There, I said it. (Sun-mi was my favorite…)

No comments:

Post a Comment