Monday, October 19, 2009


sdaff_6_091017

With the first two days of the San Diego Asian Film Festival pulling more than one sold out movie screening, needless to say the opening weekend is shaping up to be a successful event.

sdaff_13_091017
With over 200 films and various directors, producers, and actors wandering the cineplex I felt I was attending an industry reception rather than a film festival. With run ins with old friends like Leonardo Nam and David Choi, it was fun to see who we’d run into next while doing our doing rounds.

sdaff_18_091017
sdaff_4_091017
Here are some of our personal reviews (and even interviews) on some of the films we were able to catch.

thirst_091017
We began the weekend off with the Korean vampire film “Thirst” by legendary director Park Chan-wook. This was an attempt by Korea to add to the ever popular vampire genre that came back with the introduction of the “Twilight” series. It was interesting to note that even Phil, the Programming Director stated, “Vampires don’t sparkle” to add authenticity to Director Park’s work. For the film itself, all we can say is that it was Graphic, Graphic, Graphic (yes with a capital G). Not only did it contain graphic violence (i.e. blood and lots of it) but also very graphic sexual scenes that are not suited for children. However, Director Park once again pulled out his psychological bag of tricks with the constant contrast of good and evil (i.e. a priest who turns vampire) making this film ironically less of a horror film and more of a weird comedic romance. Overall it was an intriguing film but one that we’d never watch again.

sdaff_17_091017
We also viewed “White on Rice” a short film that portrayed the story of a guy who according to Director David Boyle ” just didn’t get it”. With some of the cast and crew present, they stirred up the crowd and stayed for the Q&A with a mob coming down the aisles afterward to meet and take pictures with the group. The film itself was very heartwarming and just down right hilarious with the awkwardly charming lead character Jimmy’s (played by Hiroshi Watanabe from “Letters to Iwo Jima“) stalkerish antics. Yet throughout the entire film you can’t help but constantly root for him, sympathize with him, and even encourage him as he goes for the girl Ramona (played by Lynn Chen who’s made a series of appearances on “Saturday Night Live” and other U.S. television shows) who is ultimately taken by Tim (played by James Kyson Lee of “Heroes“). We were fortunate enough to interview both Hiroshi Watanabe, Japanese Academy Award winner Nae Yuuki who plays his sister, Aiko, and Director Boyle himself.

sdaff_19_091017

How were you casted?
Hiroshi: I knew David earlier so when he told me about his short I read it and liked it because it was a comedy. I really like American comedic sitcoms so when I saw it I immediately decided to do it.
Nae: I knew Hiroshi when we worked earlier together but it wasn’t through him that I heard about the role. My manager called me about it, like always, and when I looked through the role I liked it. And according to David “she was okay”.
David: Those were my exact words … lol

What drew you to Hiroshi?
David: He was in my other movie but just on a small part. He made so much of his part and felt like the main part in another movie and I just couldn’t stop thinking about it so I casted him in the lead part and changed the script arround to basically tailor it for him.

What do you think is the main message of the film?
Jimmy: Like Jimmy who never gives up no matter what the situation, it’ll probably be never give up.
Nae: This movie is so rare because it’s from an American director with now Samurai, otaku, maid cafe so it finally seemed America had a human aspect.
David: Family’s stick together like white on rice.

sdaff_16_091017

Asians are trying to further their presence in American films, how difficult do you think it is for Asians to breakthrough into Hollywood?
Hiroshi: For me, the most difficult thing is English like natives, but I can speak English like a Japanese who can speak English very well. So it is very difficult to find roles, but David wrote really nice scripts for a Japanese actor and I appreciate it.
David: No problem.
Nae: In Japan, I have many opportunities because I’m Japanese from waitress to doctor, but in America, if I want to do something like that here I have to compete with Asian Americans so it’s so hard but I know I’ll get something…

How soon do you think Asians will break into mainstream characters?
David: I don’t know but I think what has to happen is people need to go out and support films that are in the theaters and not just the film festival it’ll happen sooner. It’s easier to support films at film festivals because its like a party but it doesn’t really count what counts is to go out in the theaters and support films like “White on Rice”. And I think it’s starting to like “Harold and Kumar”, ten years ago it wouldn’t have happened.
Hiroshi: When I was working on this film, I met many wonderful actors and when I was acting in the films it was wonderful. You can tell that they’ll do many major films and pictures and appreciate their hard work.

For a fun question, Jimmy says in the end of the film “It’s my destiny.” Do you believe in destiny?
Hiroshi: I think destiny is your strong wish. If you have a strong wish and if you have a very strong wish, you will change history even if it is a little bit. It’s about what you really wish for.
Nae: Destiny…yes, I think destiny is like the big waves in life, but personally I can make small waves in my life.
David: I think part of the reason Jimmy is where he’s at is he believes in destiny, I believe in hard work, but I believe everyone believes it in someway or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment