Saturday, October 17, 2009

Picture 4

This week, four wannabe idol groups debuted on various stages with their first televised performances: MBLAQ, BEAST, JQT and Secret. Did any of them spark your interest?

I had high hopes for both MBLAQ and BEAST, considering one group was groomed by Rain and the other had some interesting members. Unfortunately, both have yet to spark my interest; but we’ll get there later. JQT and Secret, two girl groups I had no anticipation or interest in, have pleasantly surprised me to a certain degree. Here’s a rundown of their debut performances:

JQT is a four member girl group from GP Entertainment. They recently ran an interesting marketing campaign by posting flyers with the name “JQT” everywhere throughout Seoul. Many were curious what the heck “JQT” meant and searched for the term online, making “JQT” the #1 most searched phrase at the time. One of the most interesting things about JQT is that three of its members originate from the one-hit-wonder mega groupi13. Remember them? Me neither. Now, JQT has recently made its debut on Mnet’s M! Countdown with the infectuously catchy/potentially annoying song “I Fell For You.” These girls have a high probability of actually being successful so keep your eyes open.

As we recently analyzed, Secret is another four member girl group with one resident rapper and three vocals. Along with having one member from the failed girl group Five Girls, where Wondergirl Yubin and After School’s UEE originated from, the group maknae Han Sun-hwa has beencast as part of the upcoming reality show “Invincible Youth.” Secret continues to remind me of Jewelry with their smooth melodies and vocal abilities. Unfortunately, their debut single “I Want You Back” is incredibly boring. Check out their M! Countdown debut:

4minute’s new brothers, BEAST, debuted on Music Bank with their single “Bad Girl.” Maybe it’s their hairstyles or Andre Kim inspired outfits but I am simply not feeling these guys. Is it just me? It might be, since the audience of teen girls are screaming like there’s no tomorrow.

As iconic Rain’s first kpop group under his new label Jtunes, Latin vampiresMBLAQ debuted on M! Countdown with “Oh Yeah.” Yeah, I’ll admit “Oh Yeah” has a ridiculously unforgettable chorus but, with the discombobulated rap verses and those hideous drop-crotch pants also seen on BEAST, I cannot convince myself to like these guys either. But I’ll admit they have potential once they ditch their current look.

I’d hand the award for best debut track to JQT with “I Fell For You.” What do you think about these potential idols?

No comments:

Post a Comment